At Intel we strive to be an asset to the communities around the world where we live and work. We value our neighboring communities here in North Kildare, the home of our main campus in Ireland, and we are excited to launch the Pride of Place competition to support environmental initiatives in these communities.
About the competition
The Intel Pride of Place competition showcases a variety of environmental ideas which have been generated by the Tidy Town committees of Leixlip, Maynooth and Celbridge. Each committee has submitted three proposals for plans they wish to implement in their communities and Intel will fund the project which receives the most public votes. The public will be invited to vote for their favourite project online in the coming weeks and every person who votes will be automatically in with the chance to win a €1000 cash prize.
Announcing the winners
The winning project will be announced at a prize giving ceremony on the 10th of September at 6.30pm in our Leixlip campus. You are invited to join us for the prize giving ceremony where the winning project will be announced and there will be opportunities to win other prizes on the night as well as a chance to meet with Intel representatives and learn more about Intel’s environmental strategies.
The nominated projects
The shortlisted projects have been compiled and submitted by the Tidy Town committees of Leixlip, Maynooth and Celbridge. A short summary of each project is included below – for full project detail visit www.intel.ie/vote.
• Label Leixlip – a project to label, describe and signpost a series of walking trail loops with Information panels being erected on prominent buildings/structures giving a brief history, unique features and local relevance of each.
• Leixlip Community Orchard – the project involves the development of a community orchard in the Biodiversity Park opposite the Scouts Den on the Rye River Walk and would allow passersby to collect the fruit for their own use.
• Leixlip Streetscape – the purpose of this project would be to improve the streetscape of Leixlip by having all visible wires/cable, which mar the frontages of the buildings, put underground.
• Maynooth Reflection Garden – a project to create a quiet Reflection Garden space in the Green area located off Main St. near the Maynooth Band Hall which would incorporate a granite bench, planting, stone work, native trees and directional signposts.
• Maynooth Harbour Nature Boards – this project would involve the installation of nature information boards and art screens at Maynooth Harbour showing detail of the Flora and Fauna as well as information about the history of the Royal Canal.
• Maynooth Big Belly Compactor – a project to install solar compactors and reduce litter in the Maynooth area which would enable more large sized litter boxes to be recycled using 100% solar powered units.
• Celbridge Centennial Garden – a project is to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the 1916 Easter rising and provide a public amenity area for the enjoyment of all. The garden will be situated on the Maynooth Rd. close to the Fáilte go Cill Droichid welcome stone.
• Liffey Viewing Platform – the project will create a Viewing Platform linking the focal point of Castletown Gates with the River Liffey which will open up access to the river allowing residents and visitors alike to opportunity to enjoy this great amenity.
• Celbridge Naturally – the project aim is to highlight biodiversity with the creation of a natural heritage information sign, a self-guided nature walk and a web page. The project will revitalise the community’s interest in and appreciation of wonderful biodiversity of the area.
For more information or to register your vote visit www.intel.ie/vote. The deadline for voting is Monday August 31st.
Intel is a world leader in computing innovation. The company designs and builds the essential technologies that serve as the foundation for the world’s computing devices.
Additional information about Intel is available at:
Media contact: Sarah Sexton | firstname.lastname@example.org | + 353 1 606 8537